[WikiEN-l] On the tangled skein of copyrights...

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 22:35:51 UTC 2006

I ran across a review of this in the TLS today, when going through
back issues at work, and thought it sounded of some interest to many
here:

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/193763.ctl

"If a picture is worth a thousand words, then it's a good bet that at
least half of those words relate to the picture's copyright status.
Art historians, artists, and anyone who wants to use the images of
others will find themselves awash in byzantine legal terms, constantly
evolving copyright law, varying interpretations by museums and
estates, and despair over the complexity of the whole situation." ...
"Permissions, A Survival Guide explores intellectual property law as
it pertains to visual imagery. How can you determine whether an
artwork is copyrighted? How do you procure a high-quality reproduction
of an image? What does "fair use" really mean?"

I can't comment on the book itself - though I ordered a copy on spec -
but it certainly sounds to be promising. Anyone read it?

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk