[WikiEN-l] Intellipedia the intelligence version of Wikipedia launched

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 12:19:55 UTC 2006

On 11/1/06, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:
> There's something interesting -- and a little sad -- going on
> here with respect to language evolution.  Just about everyone has
> heard of Wikipedia by now, but most people don't know where the
> name comes from.  So they're apt to seize on the wrong part of
> the word when creating derived terms.  More and more we're seeing
> the stem "pedia" used to mean "an open, collaborative repository
> that anyone can quickly and easily edit".  Sorry, Ward.

http://www.skepticwiki.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
http://furry.wikia.com/wiki/WikiFur_Furry_Central
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Entryway
http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Muppet_Wiki
http://academia.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

The issue is more likely that "pedia" stuck on the end of a word tends
to flow better than having "wiki" crowbared in.

--
geni