[WikiEN-l] CSD T1

Peter Ansell ansell.peter at gmail.com
Thu May 18 10:12:53 UTC 2006

> On 5/16/06, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
> > Molu wrote:
> > > think George W. Bush is a criminal, if you feel offended by that then
> > > by all means stay off my userpage,
> >
> > And if you feel that the best way to participate on the Internet is by
> > posting inflammatory statements on your userpage, then by all means stay
> > off of Wikipedia.  Go find a project which welcomes political rants and
> > leave us alone.
> >
> > --Jimbo
>
> Inforceing that one could be interesting. The effect of deleting
>
> [[User:Kingstonjr]]
> [[User:Hashbrowns]]
> [[User:Markaci/Nudity]]
> [[User:Cyde/Weird pictures]]
> (seriously NSFW)
>
> is unlikey to involve people acting calmly. At least going by the
> normal reaction of the various wikipedia is not censored groups.
>
> --
> geni

And hence the irony in the chain of events leading to the current
userbox controversy.

Although wikipedia is indeed a sociological phenomena, it is still the
first experiment of its type, and as such it cannot make itself based
on prior rules. However, that is still not a reason, in good faith, to
force ones hand by using practical actions without an objective
statement of why actions are being taken.

Peter