[WikiEN-l] Category:Criminals // Category:American Criminals

jf_wikipedia at mac.com jf_wikipedia at mac.com
Fri May 12 00:48:27 UTC 2006

On May 11, 2006, at 12:26 PM, Anthony DiPierro wrote:

> Sometimes I wonder whether categories were ever a good idea to begin
> with.  They were certainly implemented horribly.

Categorization of things and places work most of the time.

Categorization of people by their trade, their nationality, etc. work
most of the time.

Categorization of people that add some kind of value judgement, do
not work, are open to abuse, vilification and POV pushing.

I would argue that Categories and Lists in Wikipedia, are incubators
of POV. I tried with other editors to make sense of lists at
[[WP:LISTS]]. maybe we need something similar for Categorization of
people.

-- Jossi