[WikiEN-l] Is this NPOV?

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Wed May 10 19:59:13 UTC 2006

On 5/10/06, Peter Jacobi <peter_jacobi at gmx.net> wrote:

> Quite often, when I stumble by accident into an article,
> perhaps interwiki-ing from/to de.wikipedia, I find dozens
> of weblinks and not a single book given, even when they are
> easy to find, even for me.
>
> At some point of time we must stop trying to evolve
> into a backup copy of the WWW and draw from other
> sources.

Of course, sometimes it's quite hard to find non-web sources.  For
example, I've written articles on a number of World War II-era German
AFVs.  My local library doesn't have a single scholarly work on the
subject - possibly a legacy of the neo-Nazis in the next state over -
and I'm not about to write a Wikipedia article from a book targeted at
ten-year-olds.  I've been working from websites that reference those
scholarly works, instead.

It's quite frustrating having a list of three dozen possible print
sources, and not being able to find a single one of them in a library
within reasonable driving distance.

--
Mark
[[User:Carnildo]]