[WikiEN-l] We need a pedia split

maru dubshinki marudubshinki at gmail.com
Sat May 6 06:58:47 UTC 2006

On 5/6/06, Cheney Shill <halliburton_shill at yahoo.com> wrote:
Nor are we in a position according to you to determine what crap is.
After all, what we believe is crap today may very well to turn out to
be bio-fuel or natural gas tomorrow.  I'm simply setting forth one
principle for determining what crap is.  Besides, the real point of my
recommendation in this context regarding pop-culture items (Pokemon,
pop-stars, etc.) is to give them a holding place outside the
encyclopedia itself that is still part of Wiki until we have better
knowledge about where on the crap continuum they belong.  I'm not
recommending a flush, simply a split, and anything can be moved back
to the encyclopedia and is of course still accessible and editable
like any other Wiki content.~~~~Pro-Lick

Not at all. We are currently in a position to judge well old stuff- I
can't remember the last time someone complained about "Ancient
Greek-cruft" or "Renaissance-cruft", so while we certainly are still
missing notable stuff from those areas, we don't seem to have a
problem keeping out the non-notable crap stuff from that area.  My
argument was that we should try to filter out the lower levels of
horrible speedyable obvious crap that it is really unlikely anyone
will ever want, and leave the non-horrible crap that isn't harming
anything for later time periods to judge the finer borderline cases.
There's a practice in writing which is to bang out something and get
it nice, and then just leave it alone, coming back much later with a
fresh mind.

~maru