[WikiEN-l] Redlinks or redirects?

Chris Lüer chris at zandria.net
Thu Jun 29 18:52:44 UTC 2006

At 05:10 AM 6/29/2006, Steve Bennett wrote:
>Hi all,
>   When discovering a redlink, which is better: to leave it as a
>redlink, or redirect it to the "closest" topic? Eg, a redlink to the
>name of a book - best to leave it that way, or create it as a redirect
>to the book's author? Or, create a substub "X is a book by
>[[Author]]"?

 From an editor's point of view: leave it as a redlink, so one can
easily tell it needs work.

 From a reader's point of view: write the stub, a little bit of
information is always better than none. A little bit of easy-to-find
information is also much better than having to search through a
lengthy article on a related topic to which a redirect goes.

Personally, I think we should write for our readers rather than for
ourselves, and so I would go with the stub.

         Chl