[WikiEN-l] "the experiment" - did it work?

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Fri Jun 23 11:01:07 UTC 2006

On 6/23/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/22/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> > What if the page is called "Wikipedia:Articles for creation/Jerry the
> > gay wanker"?
>
> Definitely better than it being in article space.

If it's a bad article, it's better being out of the article space.  If
it's a good article, it's better being *in* the article space.  Some
articles created by "anons" are bad, some are good.  So putting these
articles in another namespace would have both positives and negatives.
 The positives probably outweigh the negatives, because having
libellous content (for instance) in the main namespace is much worse
than not having even ten times the amount of good content in it.

> > > I'm simply arguing that AfC is less work for us, the established
> > > Wikipedia community, than is putting crap new articles through AfD.
> > > It's definitely less convenient for the newcomer.
> >
> > There's no reason that crap new articles have to go through AfD.
>
> By which you mean that we can either leave them alone, or devise some
> alternative process for getting rid of them.
>
> Steve

I was referring to the fact that it's certainly *possible* to delete
crap without putting it through AfD, and is probably within policy to
do so.  If it isn't within policy to delete crap started by anons
which no registered user would have bothered to fix and move to
article space, then the policy is flawed, not the software.

Of course, part of my second idea above was that we not only make it
explicitly within policy to speedily delete crap started by an anon,
but that we make it possible for the vast majority of established
users to do so.

Anthony