[WikiEN-l] More quotes from AfD

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 15:07:45 UTC 2006

On 6/19/06, Keith Old <keithold at gmail.com> wrote:

> Excellent point. Many people whinge about articles for deletion on this
> forum but few people vote.

I find that Dragons flight's AFD summary is an excellent way to find
ongoing debates that are on the knife edge, so to speak (and much
easier than trawling through a hundred debates a day):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dragons_flight/AFD_summary

There's even a page specifically for controversial debates, ones with
at least 5 people participating and between 50-80% delete:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dragons_flight/AFD_summary/Controversial
This seems to work fairly well; it correctly picked out the Resonance
AfD as controversial, for example.

> For the record, I think the Articles for Deletion process gets things right
> most of the time. In my view, there are much fewer problems than with speedy
> deletion. I am yet to be convinced that there is a better process than
> articles for deletion.

I agree. People have been saying it is broken for as long as I've been
here and it seems to work ok. There are problems at the margins, but I
would expect that from any process, and AfD gets it "right" probably
90-95% of the time or higher. All it needs is some people
participating who put a little thought into their comments, and some
admins who put a little thought into closing debates.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com