[WikiEN-l] Why AFD just does not work

Cobb sealclubbingfun at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 16 18:53:11 UTC 2006

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:23:11 -0700, "George Herbert"

>On 6/16/06, Cobb wrote:
>> A legit subject. So when has there ever been any actual lightsabre
>> combat? Has military research made some significant breakthroughs
>> without me noticing?

>Legit fictional:
>It's a major aspect of the Star Wars series, which are well past the
>credible size of popularity where major subjects within the fictional
>series are worth having articles about.  Fictional aspects are perfectly
>reasonable to report on.

I have no problem with an article on "Lightsaber (Star Wars)"... the toys,
the stunt work... the effect it has had on popular culture etc etc. They
could even mention that some people have taken the styles developed
for the films and tried to replicate it at a serious level. All of this
could
be written in an encyclopedic manner, with reference to sources, instead
of being original research and fan waffle.

But... the only reason this AFD was "keep" is because of the number of
Star Wars voters. Take a look at the history of the article too. Short of
slashing and burning it (and then it may as well have been deleted),
it's not going to get any better because it was named for and written from
a fictional viewpoint by masses of fans who cannot tell real from
imaginary...  and as a result it is fundmentally unencyclopedic. It should
have
been deleted, if only to preserve the illusion that AFD isn't a big joke and
give it a chance to start again (with a different name).

>Legit real-world martial art phenomenon: There are a few people trying to
>replicate the movie fighting style at a serious level.

Not with lightsabers they aren't.

Anyway, I'm not here to fight a case for deleting it. I'm just pointing out
particularly hideous case of why AFD is a grotesque broken horror show.