[WikiEN-l] Delete Daniel Brandt

John Lee johnleemk at gawab.com
Mon Jun 12 15:48:18 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:

>On 6/12/06, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:
>

>>How, exactly, do you plan on enforcing this on a site that allows
>>anonymous and pseudonymous editing?
>>

>Currently, we apparently *allow* underage editing. We could begin by
>stating that it's not allowed, and asking people to certify that they
>are of age. If kids choose to lie, that then becomes their problem.
>
>Just because rules can be circumvented doesn't make them useless.
>
>Steve

Of course, the problem that arises is underaged people like me can't
stick this on our university applications as an extra-curricular
activity. Not a major disincentive, but I'd certainly be slightly less
inclined to contribute if I knew putting "Wikipedia editor,
administrator, mailing list moderator, IRC sysop, OTRS-user and
Arbitration Committee Clerk" on my [[curriculum vitae]] would raise more
negative questions about me than it answered. Maybe it would be a better
idea to only allow minors to edit with parental permission. Again,
though, we'd lose some editors, and we'd have to present this same
screen to every anon editor. Sigh...

John