[WikiEN-l] cancelation of the deletion review of the satanism userbox

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 23:12:18 UTC 2006

On 6/4/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 16:54:11 -0700, you wrote:
> >One RFC?  Sure.  One particularly upset complaintant?  Sure.
> >Your kickback from the community is far, far past that.
>
> The community?  Whoa!  Tony pisses me off, too, but I can see when he
> has a point - which is pretty much always.  Take a deep breath and ask
> what we are here for.  Social networking?  Glory?  Ego?  Or to build
> an encyclopaedia?  In each of the numerous cases where Tony has wound
> me up, it has been because he unilaterally did something which was
> good for the encyclopaedia, and "fuck process".  I think that may even
> be a direct quote from him.
>
> A lot of the people who kick back against Tony via these RfCs are
> problem editors, just like a lot of the whining that goes on here and
> at Wikipedia Review is from frustrated POV warriors.

Which of those categories do I fall into, praytell?  8-)

Even discounting a lot of the pile-on me-too complaints against Tony from
problem editors, there remain significant numbers of people who aren't and
object to some of the stuff he's done.

My objection in short: "Fuck process" is, here and now, more of a problem
for Wikipedia than any of the individual wrongs Tony has righted using that
justification, of late.  Playing well with others is more important now.

--
-george william herbert
gherbert at retro.com / george.herbert at gmail.com