[WikiEN-l] cancelation of the deletion review of the satanism userbox

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat Jun 3 21:11:13 UTC 2006

Lord Voldemort wrote:
> On 6/3/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The majority of Americans are fundamentalist christians.
>>

> Wondering if you have any stats for this. I'm skeptical.

I'm not too sure what this has to do with Wikipedia, but no, the
majority of Americans are not fundamentlist Christians.  While 77% of
Americans do identify as Christian, most are not particularly ardent
Christians.  When asked whether they would consider themselves
"religious", "somewhat religious", "somewhat secular", or "secular",
only 37% of Americans said "religious".  Had there been a further
category of "extremely religious", presumably even fewer would've chosen it.

Source: 2001 American Religious Identification Survey, Columbia
University
[http://www.gc.cuny.edu/faculty/research_briefs/aris/key_findings.htm]

-Mark