[WikiEN-l] #wikipedia-en-admins

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jan 23 02:22:33 UTC 2006

The IRC channel #wikipedia-en-admins has now been created, with mode +is, i.e. secret and
invite-only. It currently has an access list of 64 people. I am opposed to its existence. To call a
forum which admits 800 people "almost public" is bizarre. You admit 800 but you exclude thousands of
active contributors. Wikipedia has always attempted to encourage newcomers and to assume good faith,
but it's a clear violation of that principle to assume that the rest of the world, those 6 billion
non-administrators, have nothing useful to contribute to the discussions we wish to undertake.

Imagine if you joined Wikipedia today. How would you feel about the formidable barriers against your
potential contribution to Wikipedia's decision-making process? How would you feel about having tens
of admins declaring new policy, stating their rationale but refusing to enter into discussion with
you on equal terms, on the basis that it had already been decided in private?

-- Tim Starling