[WikiEN-l] Why trivia and popular culture items need sources

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 21:30:51 UTC 2006

On 2/26/06, Peter Mackay <peter.mackay at bigpond.com> wrote:
> > Even if true, it's not exactly interesting either.
>
> It is if mascots are your passion. Trust me - such people exist, and can
> give you enough information about mascots in fifteen minutes to last you the
> rest of your life and then some. We cannot determine what sort of people our
> readers might be, and assuming that they are PLU would be a grave mistake.

Is it interesting to the average reader of an article about the Statue
of Liberty? Wouldn't the average reader go, "well, duh"? It would be
like listing every team that uses a [[bear]] logo or something on the
[[bear]] page.

Moral of the story: Just because it's interesting to some people
doesn't mean it's interesting enough to be on every page of the
encyclopaedia with a tangential connection.

Steve