[WikiEN-l] "Trivia" sections in articles

John Lee johnleemk at gawab.com
Fri Feb 24 15:16:56 UTC 2006

Ben Yates wrote:

>Wikipedia is not paper -- in a print encyclopedia, there's a limit on
>the total information volume, so any trivia would push out something
>more important; here, the contraints are easy navigability,
>readability, etc.  I'm afraid I'm a bit baffled as to why /additional/
>information at the end of an article upsets people so much, as long as
>it doesn't make the rest of the article less useful.  If you don't
>like trivia sections, don't read them.

Because we're an encyclopedia. This is like saying "I'm a bit baffled as
to why including the full text of all of [[Abraham Lincoln]]'s speeches
at the end of his article upsets people so much". (A bit exaggerated of
course, but nevertheless true.) WP:NOT an indiscriminate collection of
information.

John