[WikiEN-l] Username block (was Admin Abuse)

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Fri Feb 24 05:01:24 UTC 2006

> From: wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org
> [mailto:wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org] On Behalf Of Alphax
> (Wikipedia email)
>
> Peter Mackay wrote:
> >>From: wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org
> >>[mailto:wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org] On Behalf Of Ryan Delaney

> >>I don't see much point in warning them since it's not a
> behavior they
> >>can stop. An inappropriate username is an inappropriate
> username. In
> >>this case, warning just seems to be more work for the administrator
> >>when the result is the same either way.
> >

> > Warn them so they can change their username or at least be
> aware of why they
> > were blocked. Otherwise they come here seeking an
> explanation for the random
> > brutality.
> >

> How about we change {{usernameblock}} to the effect of:
>
> "This notice was placed at ~~~~~; you have 24 hours to pick a
> new name,
> at which point your account will be renamed."

Good, but the editor also needs to know why the username was deemed
inappropriate, otherwise it will merely confuse them.

Also, if they don't log in again for a couple of days, then they will find
their account has inexplicably disappeared. Such a warning should be coupled
with two email notices:
1. Wording as above, plus a reason.
2. Notification that the account has been renamed and the new account name
is xxxxx

Peter (Skyring)