[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's destiny

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 22 17:37:15 UTC 2006

Ben Emmel wrote:
> No, I do agree that it's not a open-and-shut decision. But like Jimbo said,
> if we still care about this article in a year, then we can argue then.
Woah, a whole _year_? I'd thought the article was just temporarily
deleted while some details got sorted out. _Now_ I've got a serious
grounds for objection. What happens if the deleted article database gets
purged at some point before then? And what if there are notable
developments in the details of this topic over the course of the next
year? We shouldn't have to be keeping notes offline for a whole year,
we'll lose out on all sorts of opportunity for the organic article
growth that Wikipedia excels at.

Granted, this isn't a "big topic" like a war or political scandal. But
this seems like a very dubious approach in general and I'm not sure it
should be condoned.