[WikiEN-l] No more blocking people for who they *are*?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Feb 9 20:17:34 UTC 2006

slimvirgin at gmail.com wrote:

>No neo-Nazis or pedophiles have been blocked because of who they are.
>A neo-Nazi was blocked for posting on Stormfront a list of editors he
>thought were Jewish. Another was blocked for posting on his user page
>an enormous photograph of himself in a uniform making a Nazi salute.
>Some have been blocked for anti-Semitic abuse. And someone has been
>blocked for posting a pedophile user box on his user page. These are
>all provocative acts that have nothing to do with writing an
>encyclopedia. People are being blocked for provocation, not for who
>they are.

That seems a false distinction to me---you're defining "provocation" as
"stating who they are", but only for certain classes of users (saying
you're a Satanist, Republican, or gay is ok, saying you're a neo-Nazi
isn't).

In any case, do you consider any of these provocative?  They certainly
offend me, and are completely unrelated to writing an encyclopedia:

-- [[User:Striver]]: Numerous attacks on the United States; a bunch of
9/11 conspiracy theories

-- Many of the ~200 users including the userbox [[Template:User
freedom]] ("This user believes that only articles need reflect a NPOV,
and that displaying political, religious, or other beliefs using
userboxes and user categories should not be banned")

-- Explicit attacks on others' beliefs, such as the ~20-30 users
attacking "Randroids" in one form or another, often accompanied by an
X'd out photograph of Ayn Rand, a bunch of anti-Scientology users, and
so on.

--
[[User:Cognition#Gallery_of_beast-men.2C_cultists.2C_fascists.2C_and_colonialists]]

I could go on and on.

-Mark