[WikiEN-l] No more blocking people for who they *are*?

jayjg jayjg99 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 16:15:27 UTC 2006

On 2/9/06, Steve Bennett <stevage at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/9/06, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > That was user Amalekite / [[Alex Linder]], and he was blocked for
> > endangering Wikipedians (he also suggested ways of subverting Wikipedia
> > using sockpuppets and proxies).  Nevertheless, he wasn't blocked for
> simply
> > being a neo-Nazi/white supremacist; neo-Nazis/white supremacists
> regularly
> > post on Wikipedia.
>
> Seems reasonable to me - to exclude their input would be to create a
> deliberate bias.

In reality, though, neo-Nazis/white supremacists have a great deal of
difficulty editing, mostly because they cannot seem to comprehend or abide
by content policies like [[WP:NPOV]], [[WP:V]] and [[WP:RS]].  As well, the
interaction policies like [[WP:CIVIL]] and [[WP:NPA]] seem to elude them.
Given their views, none of this surprises me.

Would we allow relatives of victims of Auschwitz to
> edit, but not relatives of Nazis who worked at Auschwitz?

Not sure how either group would be relevant, since Wikipedia considers
personal experience to be a kind of original research, which is not
permitted in articles.

Jay.