[WikiEN-l] What to do

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 07:20:54 UTC 2006

> The Cunctator wrote:
> > I believe that Steve was talking about your protection of your user
> > page.
> >
> > Also, people aren't required to get permission before
> editing a page.
> > Please read the protection policy:
> >   --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Protection_policy
> Please read the user page policy:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:User_pa> ge
>
> Quote:
> "In
> general it is considered polite to avoid
> substantially editing another's user page without their
> permission, but feel free to correct typos and other mistakes."
>
> Yes, I violated [[Don't be a dick.]] So did Drini.

>From the protection policy:
Admins must not protect pages they are actively engaged in editing,
except in the case of simple vandalism.

So, one person violates "It is considered polite", and another violates
"Admins must not".

You don't really think you're in the right here, do you? I can
understand how things happen in the heat of the moment, but in
retrospect, it's pretty clear which one of you is at fault. It seems
that Drini was acting in the bests interests of WP - he even stated in
the edit summary "rm aggressive divisive userbox".

For what it's worth, here's the edit history of The Cunctator's user
page.

# (cur) (last)  03:41, 7 February 2006 The Cunctator (It's getting a bit
--what's the word -- nicey nicey? velvet rope? mm.)
# (cur) (last) 03:16, 7 February 2006 The Cunctator m (I like how I've
been managing to make fun of userboxes from day one without even knowing
it. Now it even looks like one!)
# (cur) (last) 03:10, 7 February 2006 The Cunctator m
# (cur) (last) 02:46, 7 February 2006 The Cunctator (The Featured
articles are, imho, some of the worst entries in Wikipedia.)
# (cur) (last) 16:11, 6 February 2006 The Cunctator m
# (cur) (last) 16:11, 6 February 2006 The Cunctator (Here's a more
polite version, you sanctimonious jerk.)
# (cur) (last) 06:55, 6 February 2006 Drini (yes but it goes against
WP:CIVIL policy)
# (cur) (last) 04:45, 6 February 2006 The Cunctator (For the second
time.)
# (cur) (last) 21:53, 5 February 2006 Drini (rm aggresive attacking
userbox)
# (cur) (last) 20:50, 5 February 2006 The Cunctator m (I'd like to be
able to state my own opinions.)
# (cur) (last) 22:13, 4 February 2006 Drini (rm aggressive divisive
userbox)

Sorry, I'll let it go now. Just a bit disappointed.

Steve