[WikiEN-l] Here's an interesting one

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Feb 1 15:37:35 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Eventually producing a good encyclopedia is _exactly_ what I'm talking
>about.  That's why it's better to delete crap than keep it.  Having tons
>and tons of junk articles does not help us create a good quality
>encyclopedia; it encourages more of the same.

It depends on what you mean by "junk article".  If it's an article that
cannot possibly prove useful to a future editor, then yes, it should be
deleted.  Most stubs aren't in this category, though.

If it's an article that is not good *now* as an article, but might be
useful to a future editor, then it shouldn't be deleted---instead we
should develop some sort of labeling system so a reader who stumbles
onto it is properly notified that this article is very much a
work-in-progress and not yet ready for serious use as a reference.

-Mark