[WikiEN-l] Policy on putting email addresses on wiki pages

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Wed Feb 1 00:22:36 UTC 2006

On 31 Jan 2006 at 13:04, Tony Sidaway <f.crdfa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/31/06, Tom Steinberg <tom at tomsteinberg.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Is it permissable to put email addresses on wikipedia, if they're
> > already public?
>
> Of course it is! How on earth are people to be able to communicate
> with one another if their email addresses are hidden?
>
> I profess profound distaste for the practice of concealing, mangling,
> and distorting email addresses.  I myself have had an email address on
> my userpage for well over a year and can count the amount of spam that
> has gotten though on the fingers of one hand, so there's no excuse.

Me too... I've got a strong dislike of all the various types of
address munging used online, which I find extremely bothersome and
unaesthetic; and I haven't changed this opinion despite getting spam
by the ton (metric or imperial).  This includes the whole panoply of
techniques from turning it into an image, spelling it out in
increasingly creative ways (people seem to find "user at something
dot net" too simple, so they come up with ever more convoluted ways
of saying it, like "username 'user' with an at sign followed by the
hostname in the top level domain 'net' of 'something'), or messed-up
addresses where they have to tell you to "Remove the NOSPAM", and so
on.

--
== Dan ==