[WikiEN-l] Regarding the "change size" indicator in change lists

Gurch matthew.britton at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 30 15:18:57 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:
> On 12/30/06, Luna <lunasantin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've assumed the new numbers (I'm not sure what to call them) were wrapped
>> in a div or span to make them friendly to CSS customization. From there on,
>> if a user doesn't like them, they're free to change the colors, text
>> decoration, or anything else, or even just make them disappear. As is
>> frequently the case with open source projects, if you don't like something,
>> you're usually free to *fix it*.
>
> Customising your own CSS style sheets is exactly the opposite of *fixing it*.
>
> Steve

That is arguably true. However, if two groups of people have different
opinions over how the interface should look, only one of these can be
made the default; members of the other group must then make personal
changes in order to achieve the desired format. (Unless a new skin or
entry in the preferences page is created for every minor interface
tweak, which would be rediculous). This is standard practise; I have
modified (or more usually removed) dozens of things in my personal
interface, and have never expected these changes to be made on a global
level nor provided as preferences.

-Gurch