[WikiEN-l] POV on Israel

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Dec 30 10:29:04 UTC 2006

Parker Peters wrote:

>On 12/27/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>To say that a comparison between Apartheid and Israel is "very, very
>>valid criticism of the State of Israel" is not racist. It's accusing
>>Israel of being racist. Perhaps, if this claim doesn't have any
>>supporting evidence, you could call it nationalist. Nothing more.
>>

>But the problem is, the evidence all points the other way. Attempts to
>compare Apartheid with Israel's situation have never been honest, but always
>have been nothing more than racist propaganda.

What makes them dishonest?  If the people who make that analogy really
believe it, that's all it takes to be honest. Propaganda involves much
more than discussing an idea in some electronic medium.  It involves a
conscious effort to spread that idea in a multitude of fora.

>If you're going to make a comparison with Apartheid, you've got a better
>comparison looking at Saudi Arabia, where multiple cities require
>non-Muslims to drive on different roads than Muslims, and non-Muslims are
>barred from multiple areas of many cities, and are subject to different laws
>and different punishments for breaking the laws.

<citation needed>

>The fact that this was brought up when it was is sad, and the fact that I
>see editors going on trying to find some method of justifying writings that
>are mere propaganda being placed onto wikipedia, is horrifying to me.

One does not achieve NPOV by suppressing views with which one disagrees.

Ec