[WikiEN-l] CSD A7

David Mestel david.mestel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 21:11:55 UTC 2006

*stomp*, *stomp*, *stomp*

I see what you mean, but my idea does have the advantage that it,
unlike a PROD, doesn't take 5 days, and doesn't necessarily allow the
creator to waste everybody's time with an AfD.  Just to clarify, my
proposal is to delete first, undelete to userspace and get suppord
from good-standing editors later.

To James: OK, so imagine the system gets gamed.  There's an AfD.  Not
a huge problem.  In any case, AfD is probably the right result if five
experienced editors support keeping.

On 26/12/06, James Hare <messedrocker at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not to mention it could easily get gamed -- imagine if there's five people
> interested in some band from Deluth no one cares about, except those five
> people that manage to get the article saved (at least from speedy deletion).
> System gamed.
>
> We should do what we already do -- speedy delete those that fail to even
> assert notability, and PROD those that are non-notable despite assertion. If
> the PROD is removed, then AFD is necessary simply because it makes us look
> good. Assume good faith across the board.
>
> On 12/26/06, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > It seems to me that CSD A7 (the no assertion of notability one) is
> > > grossly overused by many people, including me.  Most editors simply
> > > use it as though it read "blatantly non-notable", and while this is
> > > probably a good thing (it prevents a vast waste of time at AfD), it
> > > seems somewhat dishonest.  Would it not be better, therefore, either
> > > to alter it so that it did read like that, or to add another criterion
> > > for people to use instead?  I would suggest that a possibly way of
> > > determining "gross non-notability" would be to say that if the creator
> > > is unable to pursuade, say, four or five editors in good standing
> > > (>50-100 edits, no blocks in the last week or so) to vouch for the
> > > article, it can be speedied.  The only real disadvantage I see in this
> > > is that it could create a somewhat cliqueish appearance to new users.
> > >
> > > What do people think?
> >
> > I agree, A7 is often misused. I think cases of articles that assert an
> > obviously invalid reason for notability should go through PROD. Your
> > idea would be more complicated for no good reason.

David