[WikiEN-l] "Assume good faith" is no longer policy.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Dec 22 18:42:14 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

>On 12/18/06, Kat Walsh <mindspillage at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>It was called a guideline for a year before someone called it policy a
>>few months ago. I haven't seen much difference in its treatment.
>>
>>I would be more concerned if I thought it made any practical
>>difference what sort of template got stuck on top of it; it's not as
>>though it were an easily enforceable bright-line rule to begin with.
>>It is simply necessary to avoid killing each other, sometimes, and so
>>people tend to regard it as a Good Idea and try to hold others to it
>>no matter what designation gets slapped atop it.
>>(As a side note, there is discussion about its status on the talk page.)
>>

>I think we should totally do away with the Guideline/Policy/Essay
>notices.. Instead we should put a signature space below... so users
>can see all the people who support the page.

So what happens when someone amends the page, as they often do?  Are the
signers deemed to continue supporting the "policy", or are all the
signatures wiped out with the voting started again?

Many policy statements which have broad support lose that support when
that policy is elaborated in some direction.

Ec