[WikiEN-l] Main Page Featured Article

Luna lunasantin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 22:13:07 UTC 2006

On 12/20/06, Steve Block <steve.block at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> Make the whole of template space editable by admins only, and loosen the
> grip on adminship.  Templates are probably an area which should be kept
> to trusted users, and admins are our trusted users.  Might make the
> community face up to rewiring RFA.

If the goal is to make adminship "no big deal," I'm not sure if
adminprotecting an entire namespace will accomplish that. :E Although the
template vandalism has exasperated and frustrated me more than anything else
in recent memory, I don't think that's the way to go. Granted, there was a
proposal to sprotect them all...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28policy%29#Sprotect_all_templates.3F

Sprotecting every widely used template, I'll support. It might be preferred
that we think about making an access level between autoconfirmed and sysop
-- people who get access to an intermediate protection level and have the
ability to admin rollback. That could be operated by a simple requests page
(like AWB, but probably even less stringent), or just after some particular
amount of time (two weeks, or a month, maybe?).

Giving admin rollback to a wider number of users would save a lot of time,
effort, and bandwidth for RC patrol, at least. An intermediate protection
level would let us clamp down on some of these templates, without locking
the vast majority of users out.

Just food for thought, I guess. Butcher and propose as you please.

-Luna