[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 20 18:35:20 UTC 2006

--- Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> There is still the issue of "recognising" names, and a guideline for
> that matter might be helpful. But it is not okay to force people to
> change their user name just to fit one wikipedia rules.

I disagree. I don't think it's OK to allow editors on the English language
Wikipedia to have names that are going to be unmemorable and indistinguishable
for most other editors.

Perhaps the software can be set-up so that users with non-Latin-script names
can specify a transliteration of their username for en?

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto
Blog: http://cipher-text.blogspot.com