[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Completely unreasonable block and behavior by admin friends of Itaqallah to win a content dispute

Parker Peters onmywayoutster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 23:09:35 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 14:30:14 -0800, Luna <lunasantin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >By preliminary looks through page
> >histories, it looks like he *was* being pretty disruptive and edit
> warring,
> >with a persistent failure to use talk pages -- but then, he wasn't the
> only
> >one doing so. The full protection of the page seems more or less
> >appropriate, as a means of forcing discussion.
>
> I got the same result, but I don't see the block log as evidence of a
> cabal, I regard William pretty highly, for example.
>
> This has all the appearances of someone bringing their battles to
> Wikipedia.
>
> Guy (JzG)

This has all the appearances of a new(er) editor getting piled on by people
who have axes to grind and are already on Wikipedia, you mean I'm sure.

I did a quick count. When they said "five blocks", first they double-counted
William who had undone his own after accidentally applying an infinite block
(I applaud him for having the good sense to catch his own mistake, too).

Then after looking at the blocks, I found the following:

#1 - block by Aecis, related to a good-faith page move related to commentary
left on WP:ANI about a page needing to be moved.
#2 - First 3RR,  not uncommon for new users. Block by William for
"infinite".
#2.5 - William resets this to a proper 24 hours; Shouldn't really even count
this as a "new" block since it's William fixing his own mistake.
#3 - Future Perfect at Sunrise - friend of Itaqallah and at his request -
blocks RunedChozo for a massive 72 hours. 3RR not even violated.
#4 - William blocks for 3RR: 72 hours yet again. RunedChozo contests,
claiming he didn't actually break the line, and is yelled at for "gaming the
system." If we have 3RR, fine, but now they're just hounding this user, not
to mention slapping on out-of-process ridiculously long blocks compared to
what policy states.

And then the rest on the block list currently, a massive amount of resets
and extensions by Tariqabjotu, which will undoubtedly be counted as numbers
6, 7,8, etc... next time they want to use this as a bludgeon against this
user.

So not only was it not what FayssalF/Svest claimed it to be, the blocks
weren't unreasonable or even something I'd consider evidence of a problem
user as such.

William I normally have respect for, but he's participated in a piling-on
and harassment of a user at this point, sad to say.

That those he is opposite to aren't being blocked more, after viewing page
histories, is solely due to the fact that there's a guild of people who are
taking turns. It appears RunedChozo's accusation of meatpuppetry and
organized edit warring on the part of the Muslim Guild editors is valid.

But that's my take. You can go with the "admins can do no wrong" philosophy
if you want; I think this user was being deliberately hounded, I think they
were deliberately mischaracterizing the situation make him look worse than
he is, and I think that's wrong.

The fact that it's Future Perfect - the one who slapped on a 72 hour block
when 3rr wasn't even violated - once again who showed up, at Itaqallah's
request, to lock down the page and yell at RunedChozo smacks of an admin
using his powers to do favors for his buddies. I'm not so sure the
description of him as a "tool" is terribly out of line at that point.

Parker