[WikiEN-l] MONGO and the ArbCom

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Tue Dec 12 20:46:32 UTC 2006

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com wrote:
> Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote
>> Of course MONGO should have held back, and we, his friends and fellow
>> admins, should have helped him to do that, but I suspect that the
>> decision is not going to be a popular one.
>
> OK, not going to be 'popular'. Do you suggest we look at the evidence, or the buzz?

The evidence! :)  At the same time, and I am sure Charles will agree
because we have talked about it... it can be fine for the ArbCom to
always be open to new evidence or arguments from trusted community
members as a sanity check.

But this is one of the reasons we try to keep the arbcom elections
apolitical and why we have the appointment buffer.  I think that the
last thing any of us want is judges making decisions not based on facts
but based on opinion polls.  It can be joyful in some cases, but on the
whole, it is quite a bad idea.