[WikiEN-l] MONGO and the ArbCom

Brian Haws brian at bhaws.com
Tue Dec 12 15:38:11 UTC 2006

>> I don't think he's lost broad community support at all, if you look at
his
>> talk page and the talk pages on the ArbCom case, I think you'll see just
>> the
>> opposite.

>And why, pray tell, would anyone who supports the decision dare go to his
>userpage and tell him, especially given his record of threatening blocks?
>Furthermore, why would any otherwise sane individual go and rub salt in
>the wound if he's that disturbed by the result of the RfAr by gloating
>about it?  I'd like to think that most of the people who feel this is the
>proper outcome aren't interested in dancing around about it.

They may not show up on his userpage, but would certainly weigh in at the
ArbCom case, as happened
in many other cases...in this instance there's just not much talk in support
of this outcome.

>> And when re-applying for RFA, you don't need to have lost broad
>> support, just a small group (15% or so) of committed opposers will be
>> enough
>> to block it. Other high profile admins have gotten much longer leashes
>> than
>> this...

>I think the evidence of lost support may, in fact, come from the results
>of the aborted arbcom election vote.  Whether he acted correctly or ended
>up with the correct result (both of those are separate things) 99%, 75%,
>whatever of the time, I'm not sure that the trust of the general community
>exists anymore because of that percentage of being wrong.

Well, the standard there is much higher, there are editors with significant
numbers of opposers that are otherwise
highly regarded in the ArbCom Elections.
If in fact there is a silent majority that agrees with this decision there's
no sign of it (though it may be there),
I think they could do us a favor by making them selves known. As it stands
now I see this action as contrary to the good
of Wikipedia both as it effects a single editor and what it says about the
support you'll get under sustained pressure
from what are generally recognised as commited trouble makers.

Brian