[WikiEN-l] The vexed issue of sources

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sat Dec 9 10:04:55 UTC 2006

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> For an edit to be verifiable it has to be verifiable by someone other
>> than the person that made the edit. We're not talking about
>> reliability of sources - it's obvious that a TV show is a perfectly
>> reliable primary source
>>
> I've seen interesting documentaries on sasquatch sightings. Area 51 and
> perpetual motion machines. :-)

And they're perfectly reliable primary sources *about the
documentaries*. About sasquatch and Area 51, on the other hand, they're
secondary sources of perhaps more questionable reliability.

The "reliability" of a source is highly context-sensitive. I don't think
anyone's proposing to use Star Trek episodes as sources for articles
about real-world physics. :)