[WikiEN-l] The vexed issue of sources

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 8 22:49:31 UTC 2006

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> In fact, the policy is even stronger. [[Wikipedia:Verifiability]] says:
>
> ""Verifiable" in this context means that ***any reader*** should be
> able to check that material added to Wikipedia has already been
> published by a reliable source." (emphasis mine)

I've always taken that just to mean that classified documents and the
like are out of bounds. We don't require that our references be
available as books on tape for the benefit of illiterate Wikipedians, or
that references are only English-language because not every reader knows
French - it might take some effort, but every reader can learn a foreign
language or hire a translator.

Stan