[WikiEN-l] The vexed issue of sources

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 8 06:11:05 UTC 2006

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:
> And indeed:
>
> "In the Cardassian legal trials are entirely a formality and only have
> a ceremonial function. The verdict is determined long before the
> actual trial is held. The person prosecuted learns what he or she
> allegedly committed at the trial."
>
> Which is a generalisation based on a single episode.  Is it
> universally true? Do we care?

Actually, I remember the episode and it _is_ universally true.
Characters declare this explicitly on screen, explain the philosophy
behind why it is that way, and describe other aspects of Cardassian
jurisprudence in great detail as well. It was a very
legal-system-centric story.

I am not an expert on law, but I am somewhat of an expert on Star Trek. :)