[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Request to mailing list Wikichix-l rejected

Jim Schuler jim62sch at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 21:08:19 UTC 2006

On 12/5/06, Guettarda <guettarda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/5/06, Bogdan Giusca <liste at dapyx.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Subscription request
> > > has been rejected by the list moderator.  The moderator gave the
> > > following reason for rejecting your request:
> >
> > > "Hi Cunctator. We're only accepting women at this time. I suggest you
> > > comment on the existing Wikimedia lists instead. This presence of this
> > > list isn't meant to prevent men commening - which you can still do on
> > > wikien-l etc."
> >
> > Maybe we should have a mailing list just for men, too! And a mailing
> list
> > for British people where no Americans are allowed! Or a mailing list
> > just for atheists where no Christians would be accepted!
>

> Has a need for British-only or atheist-only lists been identified?  I
> haven't noticed ay such discussion on this list.  If such an issue has
> been
> identified and discussed, then it's worth considering.  If it's just based
> on the fact that people feel excluded - sure, I don't like being excluded
> from things either.  But the list was organised to avoid a specific
> problem
> - women feeling uncomfortable posting to this male-dominated list where
> explicitly sexist statements (even if they weren't meant seriously) are
> left
> unchallenged by a large number of people.

This is not, however, the proper way to deal with the issue.  In effect, the
editors who subscribe to wikichix have caved in to the intimidation by
creating their own mailing list.  Imagine if Rosa Parks, no matter how tired
she was, caved in to intimidation that December day in 1955.  Imagine if
Marin Luther King had given in to intimidation and not called for the
Montgomery Bus Boycott.  Caving in resolves nothing.

Jim
http://iacobomus.blogspot.com/