[WikiEN-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Fred Bauder fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Wed Dec 6 18:26:04 UTC 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 10:49 AM, Kat Walsh wrote:

> The question of whether a single-sex list is 1) needed and 2)
> appropriate for Wikimedia to host is a valid one. For discussion by
> everyone. Its existence does *not* affect only the women; it affects
> the whole community. (Those women who would at the present time like
> to discuss the issue in a more private forum can do so -- and have
> done so.) So I would like to hear discussion from everyone it affects,
> including you -- but if you're not going to raise the tone of that
> open discussion, don't join it. Which applies to everyone, including
> several others in the many spawned threads, but particularly those who
> would otherwise claim to value respectful discourse and consideration
> of others' needs.
>
> -Kat

I think this should be up to the women who feel there is a need. I
support hosting if a significant number of women want it. Whether it
has value can be determined by participation and outcome. That is an
experiential thing. Such groups provide an opportunity for gossip and
backbiting, but so do a host of other venues. It is up to the women
who participate to weigh the negative as well as the positive
outcomes. One positive aspect might be development of the confidence
to appropriately assert yourself, should anyone feel reluctant or
unable to.

Fred