[WikiEN-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Joseph Reagle reagle at mit.edu
Wed Dec 6 16:00:46 UTC 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 06:36, Oldak Quill wrote:
>Such a list seems to encourage a sense of difference where there isn't
>one.

I'd be suspect of the empirical claim you are making, how do you know there
is no difference? Questions of bias, particularly gender, are difficult.
But there is no doubt that some *perceive* a gendered culture in common
spaces, otherwise there'd be no impetus to start the list.

>It will also discourage some women from contributing to the
>general discussion ("why post in two places when I can post here?").

Again, another empirical/causal claim. In my informal observation of similar
communities, I haven't perceived a decrease in female presence after the
provisioning of a female space. A counter hypothesis is that: women who
have a more supportive space to fall back upon will become more comfortable
in speaking in the common spaces.

In any case, the presumption of equality and the objection to separate
spaces -- as this thread evidences -- is quite interesting, and happens
again, and again, and again! :) Wilson [1] notes such discussions orbit a
*presumption* of equality.

[[
In order to defend their views of a just world and equality, three
strategies have been adopted by the participants in the study:
1. The situation is changing (and men seem to believe this)
2. Men and women are seen as equal but different -- women do not enjoy
competing as much. This would be supported by the data from both the
questionnaires and interviews where women were using computers less, have
less confidence in their abilities, and are more attracted to the arts.
3. There is a misperception that computing and technology is for males.
]]

The interesting consequence is that even if there is gender bias no action
on the part of females is taken because (1) those females who believe there
are equal opportunities will see no reason for action; (2) those who
believe there is a misperception or that women feel less confident will be
tolerant of encouragement for women, but they are also content see the
status quo maintained; and (3) the women who believe in their equal
abilities do not want to be singled out for special treatment and may
therefore "count themselves out and express ambivalence" (Wilson 2003:138)

[1] http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=423703