[WikiEN-l] Handling unreferenced but likely-valid material

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Tue Dec 5 11:08:28 UTC 2006

On Dec 5, 2006, at 1:20 AM, wikien-l-request at Wikipedia.org wrote:
> From: Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net>
>
>> On 12/1/06, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
>>> The verifiability policy has never been a hardline policy, but a
>>> guideline and something to aim towards.  When it was first adopted,
>>> nobody thought it meant that we should summarily delete the 80%+
>>> of the
>>> encyclopedia that at the time was unsourced.  Instead what it
>>> meant was
>>> that we should begin going through and adding sources to it.
>
> What if a person picks a random article from the 80% of the
> encyclopedia
> that isn't sourced and says "I'm going to delete this unless
> someone else
> sources it"?

If "ifs" and "ans" were pots and pans we'd have no need of tinkers.

If it happened to an article I cared about and was knowledgeable
about, I'd add some sources.

If someone did it rapidly and wholesale to articles in what appeared
to be a biased way, I'd call WP:POINT on them.

I don't think 80% of our articles are _utterly_ unsourced, by the
way. Let's do a quick reality check. I'm going to hit the "random
article" button ten times:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_asynchronous_receiver/transmitter
    Good example of an utterly unsourced article that shouldn't be
deleted
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Moss
    Good external link to a bio. Badly sourced.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewer%
27s_Dictionary_of_Irish_Phrase_and_Fable
    Stub article. Does an ISBN number count as a source? I think so,
because it can be used to
    locate further information. Badly sourced.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_Dead_and_Dynamite
    Pop culture article. Three OK external links. Badly sourced.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitri_Markov
    An athlete. Good external link to "IAAF profile for Dmitri
Markov." Badly sourced.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Ferragamo
    Seven-or-eight-paragraph article on an athlete. Utterly unsourced.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_McClen
    An athlete. Are you sure the random article button works? Two
good external links. Badly sourced.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dusky_Thrush
    Good print source. Good external link. No inline sources.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_Dash
    Three OK web "references." One OK external link (Nintendo's
official Pokémon Dash game profile).
    One fansite external link. One inadequately-cited print reference
("Instruction manual for Pokémon Dash").
    Weakly sourced.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Tiller
    Controversial abortion doctor. Eleven inline citations to
reasonably good news sources.

So, there you have it.

Nothing like "80%" of our articles are unsourced. The vast majority
of them might be called feebly sourced (no inline citations, what
citations there are are mostly web links.

So, in answer to the hypothetical, if anyone tried to delete the
entire article on the basis of its being "unsourced," I'd strongly
object in the case of nine of the ten. In the case of the UART
article, I believe I could scare up a couple of sources in about ten
minutes and that's probably what I'd do.