[WikiEN-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 11:50:04 UTC 2006

On 12/4/06, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> This is a positive initiative. I have only one issue with it, which is
> that the mailing list is on Wikimedia's servers, while the wiki is
> not.

I have no objection to the wiki moving to Wikimedia's servers if
Wikimedia want it, though the idea is to expand the concept to cover
wikis in general, not only Wikimedia ones, so I don't know how well
that would fit into Wikimedia's scope. I originally intended to put
the mailing list on the same server as the wiki but the company I'm
hosting it with has objections to mailman. I didn't want to put it on
Wikia and have people thinking the project was just a way of
advertising Wikia,  freelists.org discourages private or unarchived
lists, and, surprisingly, there don't seem to be any other free hosts
of mailman mailing lists. Since Anthere approved the list being hosted
by Wikimedia, I thought that would be the best place for it for now.

> Users might also be confused when they subscribe
> to a Wikimedia mailing list but their Wikimedia username doesn't work
> on the wiki (I'm speaking about the hypothetical post-single login
> world ;-).

Even if Wikimedia hosts it, they will also be confused when their
mailing list password doesn't let them into the wiki (a very common
problem at Wikia).

Angela.