[WikiEN-l] A case of vandalism?

Brian Salter-Duke b_duke at octa4.net.au
Mon Apr 24 22:57:38 UTC 2006

This seems an interesting question. User:Hugh Minnoch wrote an article
that has just been deleted:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Floor_Two%2C_Mardon_Hall

You will see that he thought it all a bit of fun and I tried to put him
straight. I put this on his talk page:-

"Welcome to Wikipedia. I hope you come to appreciate what it is all
about. You might think that your article on a floor of one Hall at
Exeter University is a bit of fun, but it really just messes up a good
project. I fought to keep really good separate articles on the Halls at
Exeter, although I have no connection with the place. They were merged
into a single article. Halls of Residence are important and should be in
wikipedia. Your bit of fun really does not help. Try to help the
project. You might find it is worthwhile. --Bduke 12:46, 21 April 2006
(UTC)"

Seems civil enough to me. He blanked his talk pages within minutes.

He then put the contents of the deleted page on his user page.

Last night I noticed that he had added two barnstars to his user page
that claim they have been presented to him by me, although using my full
name which is on my user page and not my username. I added this to his
user paqe:-

"You break the most important rule on Wikipedia - Don't be a dick.
--Bduke 12:01, 24 April 2006 (UTC)"

which is perhaps less civil. He responded by:-

"Brian my love grows for you with each encounter. Just tell me you'll be
mine!"

and added many more barnstars to his user page, again largely claiming
to come from me.

Now clearly Huck is a dick, but do either the barnstars or saving a
deleted article on his user page count as vandalism? It is clearly an
attack on me as if people see I have awarded barnstars to this dickhead,
they will likely think I am a dickhead.

I intend to leave him alone from now on, but I wondered what people
think about this and whether any admin feels anything should be done
about Hugh.

Cheers, Brian [[User:Bduke]]

         Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke) b_duke at octa4.net.au
       Post: 626 Melbourne Rd, Spotswood, VIC, 3015, Australia
    Phone 03-93992847. http://members.iinet.net.au/~linden1/brian/
Honorary Researcher Fellow, Dept. of Medicinal Chemistry, Monash Univ.