[WikiEN-l] Wheel warring

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 23 23:26:55 UTC 2006

Conrad Dunkerson wrote:

> The 'first reverter' is NOT always the problem and 'discussion' does
> not cure all ills. I don't think I've ever seen a serious wheel war
> where discussion WASN'T going on.

Discussion does frequently develop, but usually it fails to involve both
of the participants in the actual "war". If both sides were busy
discussing instead of serially undoing each other's actions, then that
problem wouldn't come up, and they'd hopefully be able to make progress
in terms of resolving the underlying issue.

Unfortunately, the situation is sometimes aggravated by those who are
late to the party, see that a dispute has come up, and decide to join in
on the *action* rather than the *discussion*. Quite a bit of the userbox
fiascos can be attributed to this, I think.

To prevent this, I think the obligation needs to fall on the original
participants. If you've helped precipitate a dispute that has moved to
discussion, in order for that discussion to mean anything you need to
prevent people from actively perpetuating the dispute. Specifically, you
should be stepping in when your would-be allies arrive, as those are
people who ought to listen to you, telling them to stop and join the
discussion instead.

--Michael Snow