[WikiEN-l] Wikitruth

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Apr 23 22:01:01 UTC 2006

On 4/22/06, Tony Sidaway <f.crdfa at gmail.com> wrote:
> A similar argument applies to defamation.  The onus is on me, as
> custodian of my own post, to demonstrate that I do not recklessly
> dispose of it.  Whilst I shouldn't be expected to take responsibility
> for any and every illegal act that is perpetrated by my servants, once
> I become aware that such an act may take place, I should take
> reasonable steps to prevent it.  The problem is the word "reasonable".
>  If a defamatory statement is published, a plaintiff may well have an
> apprehension that this is because I have been reckless, even if I
> haven't,  and much time and money may be spent by both sides in
> deciding the issue.

So someone goes to a community corkboard in an apartment building and
writes "John Heybobarebob is gay" on the bathroom door.  Then the
owner of the apartment building sees the defamatory statement, takes
down the message, and stores it in a closet with a bunch of other
removed messages.  Then a janitor goes into to the closet, takes the
message, and creates photocopies which she proceeds to hand out to
people.

You think the building owner can be sued?

I don't get it.

Anthony