[WikiEN-l] Libel chill

Cheney Shill halliburton_shill at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 23 17:14:45 UTC 2006

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:22:36 +0100
From: Guy Chapman aka JzG
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Libel chill

I was a researcher on H2G2 for a long time.  I became frustrated with
the bureaucratic process of publishing and peer review - but actually
it was quite good at preventing crap form being published in the
edited Guide.  It was just frustratingly slow to get updates
recognised.  WP is much better in that respect, but it's also a lot
easier for POV pushers and obsessives like YTMNDers to hijack
articles.  I wish I had an answer.
Guy (JzG)

I have an answer.  Enforce WP:V, WP:NOR, and WP:NPOV and scrap everything else other than legal policies and a technical policy or 2 to keep vandals, spammers, and edit wars under control.  Other than copyright violations, those 3 policies enforced would put libel and most other legal issues in the sources' laps.

Yes, I do mean scrap all the other guidelines and quasi-rules.  In fact, enforcing only those 3 would make admin jobs more straight-forward (easier), allow them to focus on content (are sources real, spam, etc.?), abuses harder, and eliminate most vandals and edit warriers (POV pushers/obsessives/hijackers).  Why?  Because 99% of them ignore or abuse those rules in some way.  Meanwhile, wikiens can still add, change, and be bold as long as WP:V sources are provided.
~~~~Pro-Lick