[WikiEN-l] Fair use image galleries in articles

Ilmari Karonen nospam at vyznev.net
Sat Apr 22 20:40:22 UTC 2006

Redvers @ the Wikipedia wrote:

> The second is that "fair use" clearly has limits -
> somewhere. The current logo of a company is almost
> always fair use. Previous logos, in context, are
> likely to be fair use. But a gallery of 6 or 8 images,
> without accompanying text, seems to be right on the
> borders of fair use and senseless copyright
> infringement.

Without seeing any particular examples, my opinion would be that a
gallery of past logos used to document the evolution of the visual
identity of the company in question generally ought to be acceptable
fair use.

(I had a detailed fair use rationale here, but decided to snip it since
it's exactly the same as for logos on Wikipedia in general.  Basically,
such historical logo galleries have educational value, and do not
negatively affect the market value of the works in question.)

--
Ilmari Karonen