[WikiEN-l] Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny

Gallagher Mark George m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Sat Apr 22 03:27:11 UTC 2006

G'day BorgHunter,

> maru dubshinki wrote:
>
> >We shouldn't examine that data, however. Very bad precedent, and poor
> >for privacy, especially since we aren't dealing with out-and-out
> >vandals here, but merely critics.
> >
> But should critics of Wikipedia be admins of Wikipedia? I don't
> believe
> so. However, I suppose it's up to Jimbo and the Board if they want
> expend the energy to look into it. As for privacy...it's not
> against the
> privacy policy, and besides which, I'm not sure that's an invasion
> of
> privacy anyway. You're sending data to the Wikimedia servers every
> time
> you visit a page, and that info is logged, and you (should) know
> that. I
> have no problems with the devs looking through page access logs,
> myself.

Be careful with "critics of Wikipedia".  *I'm* a critic of Wikipedia.  So are many of the people who post to this list, chat on IRC, or discuss ways to improve certain areas on-site.

There's a difference between "person who criticises Wikipedia" and "person who tries to harm Wikipedia".

Cheers,

--
Mark Gallagher