[WikiEN-l] Who wins

Guettarda guettarda at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 01:17:43 UTC 2006

On 4/20/06, Pete Bartlett <pcb21 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well-established material gets book citations.
> New material gets journal citations.
> Internet memes gets blog citations.
> Horses for courses.
>
> This idea is analogous to the idea of NPOV - we just provide the data and
> the reader does the hard work.

To some extent, this already passes.  The problem lies with the word
"blog".  The reliability of blog sources varies - I would be happy to cite
Talkingpointsmemo.com in support of the statement "Josh Marshall said..."
On the other hand, the average blogger account is a far less reliable source
because there is no way to verify the identify of the blogger.

However, this only applies to primary sources.  If we are looking for
secondary sources, we have to be more picky.  Since most of what we write
should be based on secondary sources, they are the real heart of
verifiability

Ian