[WikiEN-l] Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny

Jesse W jessw at netwood.net
Wed Apr 19 19:18:53 UTC 2006

As much as I don't want to get into this, and as much as I respect and
appreciate Danny's work answering the phones and handling complaints,
this is not right.

Further explanation *is needed*.

 From what I understand, Danny, wanting to keep things from being
unnecessarily dramatic, did not invoke the WP:OFFICE policy with
regards to [[Newsmax.com]] and [[Christopher Ruddy]], even though, in
fact, that was what was intended - someone had called the office, and
complained about the articles.  This is OK - although it is troubling
that Danny feels the WP:OFFICE policy can't be used whenever it is
needed.

What is not acceptable is to retroactively claim that the WP:OFFICE
policy *was* invoked, and to then desysop and ban Eloquence on that
basis.  That's plainly and simply wrong.  If it is required in some
case that an action by Danny not be reversed, we *have* a policy for
that.  If Danny does not use it, it's a justified assumption that the
action in question *can* be reversed, like any other action on the
'pedia, and immediate banning is not an acceptable response.

I urge that Jimbo, someone else from the Board, and/or Danny further
explain and/or apologize for this apparent mistake.  We have WP:OFFICE
for a reason.

Jesse Weinstein