[WikiEN-l] Application of the {{pd-art}} tag

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 22:02:43 UTC 2006

Well, the UK is a place in particular where the issue raised in
Bridgman v. Corel has not been ironed out one way or another. But it
is fairly clear that under U.S. copyright law, anything published
abroad in English that long ago is currently in the public domain, and
scan or close, 2-D photograph of something in the public domain would
not create a new copyright claim (and why should it?).

If scanning it does not create a copyright claim under U.S. copyright
law, then the website/archivist/whoever cannot license it at all, much
less restrively. Licensing requires a copyright claim to begin with.
They can use it, but they can't set restrictions on how others use it,
at least not by recourse to copyright law.

The only way this would be problematic would be potentially for
re-users based in the UK, but I think that falls into the "when you
move our content into your legal realm, its up to you to figure out
which of our PD categories do not apply where you live." And in any
case I'm fairly sure that it is at best legally ambiguous in the UK;
not outright prohibitive. (If I'm wrong on this, somebody correct me.)

There is a really handy table which parses out all of the various
clauses in US copyright law in relation to the public domain
(including works created outside of the US) at:
http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/training/Hirtle_Public_Domain.htm

FF