[WikiEN-l] Lolicon pictures deletion

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 08:16:04 UTC 2006

On 4/10/06, Molu Bosu Palit <loom91 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>   People left and right are saying things like "It was child porno" or "it was inappropriate for Wikipedia". These sort of things are what are called weasel words on Wiipedia articles. Wikipedia should not be edited according to the personal likings and dislikings of one or even several editors.

"Inappropriate" is not a weasel word.

>   I believe it is accepted process to maintain status quo unless there is consensus to change, not change unless there is consensus to keep. We don't start by deleting articles and then undeleting them if people demonstrate a super-majority for retaining them, we do it the other way. I don't see why the process should be otherwise for image deletions.

Jimbo has requested that we *not* maintain status quo while arguing
over it, and Jimbo trumps consensus. Take it up with him if you don't
like it.

>   Your rationale for deleting the image without consensus (that the IfD had failed to delete the image) is very strange, surely that's why the IfD is there for, to prevent the deletion of images when Wikipedia editors don't want to delete the image? "I will let the IfD delete

I think it's more to allow the deletion of images when Wikipedia
editors *do* want them deleted.

>images when I want them deleted but when it keeps images I want to be
deleted then I'm just going to go ahead and delete them": doesn't this
sound wrong to anyone?

Of course. If it was purely a personal decision made for selfish
reasons. But it wasn't.

>   Supposedly an admin has only abilities and not rights, but clearly in this case an admin has the right to irreversibly delete images that are not to his taste while an ordinary user doesn't have the right to keep images that are to his taste.

You're claiming that the admin's personal "taste" was the only concern
here. There's significant evidence that that's not the case. And in
any case, you're wrong - there's nothing (besides common sense,
civility and good manners) stopping you from uploading the exact same
image again. You certainly have that "ability".

Steve